First published in March 1856 as a monthly journal under the title, The Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette, the Gazette became weekly in 1880. Its name was changed to The Church of Ireland Gazettein 1900. A full archive of back copies is held at the Representative Church Body Library, Braemor Park, Dublin.
The Memorandum of Association of the Church of Ireland Press Ltd, the the company which owns the Gazette and which was incorporated in 1964, indicates as follows: “The object for which the company is established is to advance the Christian religion among the people of Ireland in accordance with the doctrines of the Church of Ireland by publication and distribution of a weekly Christian newspaper…”.
While the Articles of Association of the Church of Ireland Press Ltd stipulate that the Association “shall consist of such persons as may be approved from time to time by the Standing Committee of the General Synod of the Church of Ireland”, the newspaper is editorially independent of the Church of Ireland, the views expressed in the newspaper, including editorial comment, not necessarily reflecting official Church of Ireland policy.